Make Gutter Cleaning Safer and Easier
(MS) -- Nobody enjoys gutter cleaning. Yet it's much more important than many homeowners think. Rain flowing over windows, doors, and siding can rot fascia as well as door and window framing. It can erode the soil around your home and damage its foundation, and also cause a wet basement, mold, and mildew. To help keep gutters operating properly and to protect your investment, try these tips:
- Think Safety First. Always use a solid, quality ladder to reach your gutters. Safety glasses and gloves are a good idea, too. And watch out for power lines.
- Use the Right Tools for the Job. In addition to needing something to contain gutter debris, you'll also need a tool to scoop it out. The Gutter Getter Scoop from Working Products, Inc. is a good option. It's the only flexible scoop shaped to fit all gutters, plus it will keep your hands away from the debris.
- Don't Over-reach. Over-reaching can destabilize your ladder and cause you to fall. Instead, consider using a special tool to extend your reach. The Gutter Grabber is a cleaning tool on an extension pole that lets you clean up to 18 feet of gutter without moving your ladder.
- Check the Downspouts, Too. If the spout is clogged, a coat hanger or the handle of your Gutter Grabber can help get the debris out of the spout. Then, use a garden hose to flush out any remaining debris. For stubborn clogs, it may be necessary to remove the downspout and back flush it with the hose. Covering your downspout with a strainer such as the Gutter Getter Big Top Downspout Strainer will help reduce future clogging, too.
- Clean Gutters Anytime They Need It. Most homeowners know they need to clean their gutters in the fall. But once you understand the importance of gutters, you'll know why its vital to clean them out anytime they get full. To protect the value of your home, keep your gutters clean throughout the year.
Gutter Getter products are available at ACE Hardware. For more information, call (800) 582-9491 or visit www.guttergetter.com.