New science wing ready enough for Gowanda's school opening
Rinaldi, in speaking on the current capital project, stated that there was still about $146,000 available and suggested it be used to finish tiling the locker rooms, repair the flagpole at the high school entrance, repair and seal the parking lot, resurface the playground at the elementary school, put a heavier roof over the weight room, do some repairs at Hillis Field, and strip and refinish the middle school gym. The BOE agreed that these should be done.
Jennifer Gernatt addressed the Board of Education. She wanted to install a bench at Hillis Field, and also a sign that would pay tribute to Gowanda High School athletes who had won New York State Championships. After some discussion she was told they would discuss it further at the Aug, 22 meeting, and asked her to please attend and have more specifics such as dimensions, and wording, in her proposal.
In other matters, the BOE:
• Passed motions to approve the High School/Middle School Family/Student Handbook, for 2012-13, and the Elementary School Family/Student Handbook for 2012-13.
• Appointed Carol Denny and Susan Rebmann as Adult Education Co-Directors for the 2012-13 school year.
• Declared as surplus 107 copies of Grade 3 Math (1999); 57 copies of Grade 4 Reader – Dinosauring (1990) and 72 copies of Grade 3 Reader – Just Listen (1991)
• Appointed Elizabeth Birner as a substitute teacher and also as a substitute teaching assistant in the tenure area of teaching assistant, and as a substitute school monitor and substitute keyboard specialist, effective Sept. 1.
• Removed David Monat from the approved list of 2012-13 Lifeguards.
The next regular meeting of the Gowanda Central BOE will be on Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. in the middle school library.