Springville-GI School Board schedules community conversations
Board members scheduled their first community conversations event for 7 – 9 p.m. on Jan. 8, at the Springville Middle School, located at 267 Newman St. in Springville.
Board President Mel Williams said that he believed that the decision to schedule this event was the right one. “People complained about how it was done, in the past,” Williams said, noting that residents had expressed the desire to offer more input and insight into the school district’s budget.
Williams said that the board members are hoping that district staff members, students, parents and other members of the community will attend the event, to talk about the district, as a whole.
He added that, during the Jan. 8 meeting, each board member who attends will lead a group and discuss several issues, including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, facilities, operations and the school’s administration.
Input gathered from each table will be gathered and discussed that night and later presented, during a board meeting.
Superintendent Paul Connelly said that, in the past, the board relayed its proposed budget to different village organizations and at its board meetings, but that public input was lacking, as was general conversation. “It will be cool, to have this kind of [community] involvement,” he said, adding that he and other board members would still be willing to travel to organizations and speak about district issues, up until May.
Williams said the January conversation will better prepare the district, as it prepares for its budget season, which runs January – April. The board will vote on a proposed budget in May.
In other board news:
– The board approved budget transfers in the amount of $236,013.
– The board approved the placement of students in the special education program.
– The placement of students in the district’s preschool special education program was approved.
– The board approved instructional appointments for Patricia Jaromin, an elementary substitute teacher and Michael Dillon, a student teacher. The board also appointed Derek Maslowsky as a custodian.
– Kelly Josker, Brian McNamara, Andrew Mencer and Alex Tiberia were appointed substitute teachers. These are not new positions.
– The disposal of textbooks was approved.
– A field trip for fifth graders, to Camp Odosagih in May and June, was approved.
– The board approved a leave of absence for instructional music teacher Karen Jurkowski.
– The second board meeting in December, originally scheduled for Christmas Day, was canceled.
The next S-GI BOE meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on Dec. 11 at the high school library and media center.