April 16, 2014

Latest Headlines

National Cancer Institute grant allows Roswell Park Cancer Institute to study pancreatic cancer

Erie County Clerk Chris Jacobs announces registered organ donation goal

John W. Percy to present about the War of 1812 in Western New York

Students from St. John the Baptist learn the key ingredients for helping others

'The Voice' live tour comes to WNY

Niagara County seeks summer lunch program sites

Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market to open on Saturday, May 10

Buffalo Zombie Mud Run registration now open

Kenmore East Alumni Association plans two events for May 9

Deadline for Italian-American Police Association Scholarships is May 1

Mount Mercy Academy class of 2014 receive their rings

Meghan Edwards, Kaitlynn Skipper, Madelyn Higgins, Mary Kate Fitzgerald, and Allie Balys show off their new school rings at the Mount Mercy Ring Ceremony

BY: Catherine Miller | February 13, 2013

SOUTH BUFFALO - Mount Mercy Juniors celebrated the mid-year mark of their school year with the school’s traditional ring ceremony. The ring ceremony commemorates the formal presentation of the class rings to the Class of 2014.

A rite of passage to students of Mount Mercy Academy, the Mercy Ring was first worn in 1916 and is a reminder of the virtues held by the school’s present students and alumnae alike.

The ring has long been a symbol of friendship and unity between all Mount Mercy students.

The “Ring of Friendship, Circle of Mercy” is a band of seven pearls symbolizing faith, hope, charity, obedience, humility, patience, and joy.

The gold band represents loyalty to God, country and school.

Mount Mercy alumnae have the opportunity to donate their ring to the Mount Mercy Legacy Ring Program.

The rings donated to the school are given to future students and are able to be traced back to the original owners in later years, thereby creating a unique way to build a circle of tradition throughout ages of Mount Mercy students.

In 2003-2004 Vi Nguyen, a Vietnamese citizen, attended Mount Mercy Academy for the school year and received a donated ring from a past donor to the Legacy Ring Program.

Through tracing the ring to its original alumna using the engraving on the ring, Vi Nguyen discovered that she was the current owner of the Mount Mercy ring originally owned by Sister Mary Ellen Twist, Class of ’60 and current president and director of mission integration at Mount Mercy Academy. Miss Nguyen has since returned to Vietnam, proudly wearing the traditional blue and white band.

Alumnae wishing to donate their Mount Mercy ring can contact the school for further information on adding their ring to the Class of 2015 Circle of Mercy, which will commemorate 99 years of the Mount Mercy Academy tradition.

Add your Comments
Subject
Comments
Submit

Be the first to Comment