Sardinia to be part of Scenic Byway and farm trail
The board made the announcement during its regular meeting, held on Sept. 13.
According to the board, this designation is a long time coming for Sardinia. Many town residents, mostly farmers and produce vendors, have requested that the town join the coalition and reap the rewards of being on the tour.
“It’s been talked [about] a lot through the years,” Town Clerk Betsy Marsh said. “At one point, the town has talked about producing a pamphlet [showing those unique sites and features throughout the village].”
Agritourism was designed to promote agriculturally-based operations or activities that bring visitors to farms or similar establishments, according to information provided by the official guide for agritourism.
Surrounding towns, including Evans, Eden and North Collins, are already on the agritourism farm trail. Towns including East Aurora, Boston, Colden, Concord and Orchard Park and the village of Springville are all part of the Scenic Byway.
Marsh said that she believed including Sardinia in the farm trail “makes sense.” There are as many as 50 sites to visit as part of the agritourism farm trail.
The village paid $1,000 to join the coalition and for the work of installing the various signs leading into and throughout the village. Work on those notices will begin some time next year.
In other news:
– Residents are invited to the annual corn maze in Arcade, on Oct. 13. Tickets are available from the village’s recreation department. Attendees younger than 12 may attend, free of charge.
– A safe driving course, through the American Association of Retired Persons, will be offered in the village on Oct. 18 and 19. There is no age limit for this class.
– A flu clinic has been scheduled for Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. –1 p.m. in the Sardinia Town Hall gym.
– A rabies clinic will be held Nov. 3 at the town’s highway garage. This is for town residents only.
– The Eagle Scout project at the Route 39 Cemetery has been completed and a ceremony will be scheduled in the near future.
– A review of the village’s budget will be held at 5:45 p.m. on Oct. 11, prior to the regular town board meeting.
A review of the village’s Community Development Block Grant will be held that night, at 6:15.