Tips on keeping the West Nile virus at bay
Mosquitoes are attracted to standing and stagnant water. Avoid breeding grounds by emptying portable pools and bird baths and keeping lawns clean and trimmed.
Coordinate with neighbors to find a pest control professional to treat properties. Some companies will offer discounts for treating multiple properties.
Some health departments provide mosquito control services at no charge and pest control companies often offer specialized mosquito control services.
Check companies’ certification and licensing status. Ask what kinds of chemicals will be used and what safety precautions should be used, especially around pets and children. Ask how often and where the substances will be applied, before beginning.
Other tips for keeping mosquitoes at bay include:
– Monitoring water bowls for pets, fountains, bird baths, drainage ditches or other areas where stagnant water may collect. These are the areas where mosquitoes lay eggs.
– Checking outdoor faucets and garden hoses for leaks and areas surrounding pools.
– Removing any unnecessary items where water collects.
– Keeping weeds and grass trimmed and away from tree bases, property edging and other areas where moisture can build up.
– Keeping gutters clear.
– Checking all screens in the home for tears or gaps.