Springville Youth Inc. fundraiser proceeds will go to purchase of new equipment
This adults-only fundraiser is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. and will be held, rain or shine, at the SYI pool grounds on South Buffalo Street. The derby is an audience-participation, video thoroughbred horse racing event.
Ten races will take turns being projected on a large screen, with live announcers’ calling each race. Participants place wagers, with winners determined through a series of raffles based on the winning horse’s number.
Tickets are available in several price ranges, and include admission, complimentary beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. For more information, visit www.syionline.org or call 592-9531.
In other SYI news:
– Board members said they plan to use the proceeds from a Night at the Derby to help purchase new playground equipment. These funds, along with a $1,500 grant received from Wal-Mart, will help upgrade the swings and slides at the pool location.
– A shade canopy has been installed on top of the SYI pool house. According to the board, “this rooftop location has long been a favorite place for parents and visitors to sit, relax and keep an eye on the children below .... but direct afternoon sunlight has, at times, made that impossible.” The canopy “has quickly proven popular with parents.”
– Recreation Director Jason Shelley reported the sale of 3,050 day passes at the midway point of the summer swim season. The SYI pool and the spray park on Franklin Street are scheduled to remain open through Labor Day, on Monday, Sept. 3.
– SYI’s arts and crafts program, now under the direction of the Springville Center for the Arts for a second consecutive year, has 115 kids enrolled in a dozen different summer programs.
– The park’s four basketball standards are being painted this summer.
– The pool’s drinking fountain is nearly worn out. The cost to replace it with a similar model is $800.
Springville Youth Inc. Board meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in the village court offices on Franklin Street.